Olsalazine (By mouth)
Treats ulcerative colitis (bowel disease) and keeps colitis from recurring.
DipentumThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to olsalazine, mesalamine, or aspirin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Take olsalazine with food.
- Take this medicine for as long as your has told you to, even if your symptoms are gone after a few days.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the medicine as soon as you remember that you missed a dose.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your medicine at your usual time.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store your medicine at room temperature in a closed container. Keep away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking olsalazine if you have liver or kidney disease or asthma.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, hives, itching, swelling in the face or mouth
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Unexplained fever, sore throat, unusual tiredness
- Bloody diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, loose stools
- Loss of appetite, nausea, upset stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 5/1/2020